** Downloads are no longer available here. To get the latest version of DaggerXL or DarkXL please go here. **
This version is outdated, this page will be removed soon.
Pre-Alpha version 0.198
Click the link below to download:
Please read through the information and then download here.
*Special Note* If you put a link to this build on your website or article, please link to this page rather then the file itself so that people see the instructions and other information. Thank you. :)
Version 0.198 Changes:
- Fixed save crash bug in many dungeons.
- Fixed teleport tag issues (though teleport still doesn’t function).
- Random monsters are actually random now, though not using the correct monster sets.
- Dungeon start and current location ID are now saved in the Save Format. Note 0.197 saves will still load.
- Added a coordinate and location ID view – hit F11. Use this view when reporting issues.
Version 0.197 Changes:
- General Dungeon Support.
- Fixed a bug where skills could be advanced even when the player couldn’t rest due to nearby monsters.
Version 0.195 Changes:
- Upgraded Save System.
- World Serialization.
- Rest System.
- Additional and Improved Skill Implementations.
- Skill Advancement.
- Fixed “-1” save slot bug.
- Fixed bug where music would change to an exterior track even while still inside when going from one day to the next.
Version 0.190 Changes:
- Character Creation System.
- Improved Save System.
- Improved Font Rendering.
Version 0.181 Changes:
- Fixed a crash when clicking on UI elements 32 times or more in a single dialog.
- Fixed repeating click sounds when “scrubbing” the music/sound volume sliders. Now the click is only heard once when pressing the left mouse button.
Version 0.18 Changes:
- Daggerfall VID playback support. (If DaggerXL cannot find the VID files, be sure to add Movies=Path_To_VidFiles to the DXL_Settings file.)
- Movies are now played at appropriate times, such as the story introduction when selecting “Start New Game”
- Many sound effects have been implemented, including sounds for monsters, fighting (hitting, missing), UI (clicking, equipping, collecting money).
- When the player dies, the death movie plays and then they are returned to the Load/Start New Game screen.
- Falling damage has been implemented.
Version 0.17 Changes:
- Game controls are now set from the in-game control dialog.
- Mouse settings are set from the in-game mouse dialog.
- Changing sound and music volume is now supported.
- Changing the detail is supported, which modifies the exterior view distance.
- An bug with the compass has been fixed, which would cause the direction reported to fluctuate based on how far up or down you were looking.
- Up to 6 custom named save games are now supported (just like the original).
- Save games now work for dungeons and interiors as well as exterior areas.
- Save games now store character stats (such as HP), inventory and equipped items.
- Save games store the time of day, the current music track and ambient sounds playing.
- Many UI elements implemented.
- Many missing controls have been implemented, such as a key to ready your weapon.
Version 0.16 Changes:
- Added the start screen after the title screen. This allows you to Load you quick save, start a new game in Privateer’s Hold (the previous default) or exit the program.
- Hitting escape while in-game no longer exits the program. Instead it brings up the options menu which allows you to save (quick save for now), load (quick load), exit or continue the game.
- The Options button on the main UI now works.
- The rest button now advances time by several hours, allowing you to change the time without having to fast travel a lot or reload the program.
- Ground work laid for quick implementation of the remaining UI.
Version 0.15 Changes:
- Models now change textures properly when changing regions. The problem where models that have already been loaded didn’t change textures has been fixed.
- The problem where you’d get teleported to a random location when clicking on a region in the fast travel map has been fixed. This was caused by the mouse button event being triggered improperly if you continued to hold the button down.
- Various problems with Block Record Indices has been fixed. The problem caused tiles to be missing in some cities as well as the incorrect tile being displayed occasionally.
- When fast traveling to a location, you now start at an edge, looking in, rather then in a seemingly random location (which could be inside a building).
Version 0.14 Changes:
- A second build fixes the quick save/load so that it doesn’t always take you to Sentinel.
- Initial terrain system implemented.
- Fast travel map more fully implemented (filters and regions work)
- All regions and locations are available for fast travel.
- Various other minor changes and setup for future features.
Version 0.13 Changes:
- The “I” key is no longer hard-coded. The game will not crash when hitting the I key anymore.
- 320×200 mode works in exteriors now.
Version 0.12 Changes:
- Fixed a bug with the texture replacement code.
Version 0.11 Changes:
- Removed ‘F’ and ‘G’ debug keys, they were causing confusion and were not intended to be in the build.
- Texture Replacer mods are now supported. Note that only non-animated textures can be changed right now.
Version 0.10 Changes:
- Extended Feature: Glow implemented.
- HMI midi music playback implemented (it does not loop correctly yet, though).
- Sound Effect system implemented, with some sound effects implemented such as doors.
- The dungeon exit now works, you can go outside!
- Streaming world implemented, with every location in the Daggerfall region working.
- Foilage and temporary flat terrain.
- Exterior locations implemented, such as towns, crypts and dungeon exteriors.
- Building interiors, including NPCs.
- Working Interior Doors.
- Exterior, wandering NPCs.
- Time of day, including sky rendering.
- Extended feature, sky filter implemented.
- Sky fogging implemented.
- Proper exterior window color support.
- Time of day lighting.
- Cross fading between sky changes.
- Initial climbing implementation.
- Horse travel mode, though no horse is displayed so it looks like a fast run.
- Levitate spell, used by hitting Backspace. Note that it is free to cast for now.
- Fast traveling implemented.
- Quick Save and Load. Quick save only works in exteriors (F1), quick load works anywhere.
- And much more. :)
Fixes and changes:
- The crashes are fixed.
- Looting range has been fixed.
- Looting bodies and treasure piles should work much better now.
- The inverted stab/overhead swing are fixed.
- The FOV matches Daggerfall much better now.
- CPU_Light mode has been added.
- VSync can now be enabled.
- A God Mode cheat has been added to help with testing.
- Custom control bindings can be setup.
- An experimental extended feature has been implemented – Fake Bumpmapping. See below.
This is an early, pre-alpha demo of DaggerXL. It demonstrates one working dungeon, Privateer’s Hold, and several graphical and gameplay features. These include:
- Authentic rendering of Privateer’s Hold
- Dynamic and interactive flats (treasure)
- Interactive Objects such as the throne room elevator and switch.
- Collision detection and player physics
- Partially completed UI system.
- Player stats, attributes and character screen
- Inventory screen and working inventory system.
- Enemies with AI.
- Melee combat system using stats, weapon skills, armor, combat moves (swings) and different weapons.
- Player health and death.
- Graphical options for performance and varying visual quality. This includes an emulated 320×200 mode with no filtering for those who would prefer to play that way. Texture/sprite filtering is also optional and may be turned off.
What you need to play the current version.
In addition you need the following to run the current version:
The full version of Daggerfall – patch to version 213, get it for free here.
OpenAL drivers, get them here, choose the OpenAL Installer for Windows oalinst
Proper D3DX dlls, update here.
Unzip the DaggerXL_Version0181.zip file into it’s own directory, such as C:\DaggerXL
Setup your DXL_Settings.txt file.
Set the Daggerfall Arena2 directory, the default is Dagger=C:\Daggerfall\Arena2
TexFilter=0-3, 0: no texture filtering (pixelated), 1: bilinear, 2: trilinear, 3: anisotropic (best but slowest).
ResX, ResY= your screen resolution or window size. This defaults to 1024×768.
Emulate320x200=0 for normal rendering, 1 to render into a 320×200 buffer and then stretch the results to fit your resolution or window size. This makes the game look very much like the DOS version.
LightRange=1-10, default = 1. This determines how far away lights can be and still be rendered.
CPU_Light=0: regular full speed rendering, 1: DaggerXL will consume less CPU time.
Vsync=0: vsync is disabled, 1: vsync is enabled.
FakeBump=0: regular texturing, 1: real time approximate bumpmapping derived from texture surfaces.
GodMode=0: regular combat, 1: if you run out of health or fatigue, it is refilled in place instead of “dying.”
SmoothSky=0: regular sky, 1: smoothed sky.
Bloom=0: no bloom, 1: bloom – a glow effect around bright lightsources.
Effect of Various Graphical Settings
TexFilter = 0
TexFilter = 1
TexFilter = 3
FakeBump = 0
FakeBump = 1
To discuss the demo, see this topic on the DaggerXL forums. Have fun and let me know what you think!
Finally! The download