** Downloads are no longer available here. To get the latest version of DaggerXL or DarkXL please go here. **
This version is outdated, this page will be removed soon.
Pre-Alpha version 0.198
Click the link below to download:
Please read through the information and then download here.
*Special Note* If you put a link to this build on your website or article, please link to this page rather then the file itself so that people see the instructions and other information. Thank you.
Version 0.198 Changes:
- Fixed save crash bug in many dungeons.
- Fixed teleport tag issues (though teleport still doesn’t function).
- Random monsters are actually random now, though not using the correct monster sets.
- Dungeon start and current location ID are now saved in the Save Format. Note 0.197 saves will still load.
- Added a coordinate and location ID view – hit F11. Use this view when reporting issues.
Version 0.197 Changes:
- General Dungeon Support.
- Fixed a bug where skills could be advanced even when the player couldn’t rest due to nearby monsters.
Version 0.195 Changes:
- Upgraded Save System.
- World Serialization.
- Rest System.
- Additional and Improved Skill Implementations.
- Skill Advancement.
- Fixed “-1” save slot bug.
- Fixed bug where music would change to an exterior track even while still inside when going from one day to the next.
Version 0.190 Changes:
- Character Creation System.
- Improved Save System.
- Improved Font Rendering.
Version 0.181 Changes:
- Fixed a crash when clicking on UI elements 32 times or more in a single dialog.
- Fixed repeating click sounds when “scrubbing” the music/sound volume sliders. Now the click is only heard once when pressing the left mouse button.
Version 0.18 Changes:
- Daggerfall VID playback support. (If DaggerXL cannot find the VID files, be sure to add Movies=Path_To_VidFiles to the DXL_Settings file.)
- Movies are now played at appropriate times, such as the story introduction when selecting “Start New Game”
- Many sound effects have been implemented, including sounds for monsters, fighting (hitting, missing), UI (clicking, equipping, collecting money).
- When the player dies, the death movie plays and then they are returned to the Load/Start New Game screen.
- Falling damage has been implemented.
Version 0.17 Changes:
- Game controls are now set from the in-game control dialog.
- Mouse settings are set from the in-game mouse dialog.
- Changing sound and music volume is now supported.
- Changing the detail is supported, which modifies the exterior view distance.
- An bug with the compass has been fixed, which would cause the direction reported to fluctuate based on how far up or down you were looking.
- Up to 6 custom named save games are now supported (just like the original).
- Save games now work for dungeons and interiors as well as exterior areas.
- Save games now store character stats (such as HP), inventory and equipped items.
- Save games store the time of day, the current music track and ambient sounds playing.
- Many UI elements implemented.
- Many missing controls have been implemented, such as a key to ready your weapon.
Version 0.16 Changes:
- Added the start screen after the title screen. This allows you to Load you quick save, start a new game in Privateer’s Hold (the previous default) or exit the program.
- Hitting escape while in-game no longer exits the program. Instead it brings up the options menu which allows you to save (quick save for now), load (quick load), exit or continue the game.
- The Options button on the main UI now works.
- The rest button now advances time by several hours, allowing you to change the time without having to fast travel a lot or reload the program.
- Ground work laid for quick implementation of the remaining UI.
Version 0.15 Changes:
- Models now change textures properly when changing regions. The problem where models that have already been loaded didn’t change textures has been fixed.
- The problem where you’d get teleported to a random location when clicking on a region in the fast travel map has been fixed. This was caused by the mouse button event being triggered improperly if you continued to hold the button down.
- Various problems with Block Record Indices has been fixed. The problem caused tiles to be missing in some cities as well as the incorrect tile being displayed occasionally.
- When fast traveling to a location, you now start at an edge, looking in, rather then in a seemingly random location (which could be inside a building).
Version 0.14 Changes:
- A second build fixes the quick save/load so that it doesn’t always take you to Sentinel.
- Initial terrain system implemented.
- Fast travel map more fully implemented (filters and regions work)
- All regions and locations are available for fast travel.
- Various other minor changes and setup for future features.
Version 0.13 Changes:
- The “I” key is no longer hard-coded. The game will not crash when hitting the I key anymore.
- 320×200 mode works in exteriors now.
Version 0.12 Changes:
- Fixed a bug with the texture replacement code.
Version 0.11 Changes:
- Removed ‘F’ and ‘G’ debug keys, they were causing confusion and were not intended to be in the build.
- Texture Replacer mods are now supported. Note that only non-animated textures can be changed right now.
Version 0.10 Changes:
- Extended Feature: Glow implemented.
- HMI midi music playback implemented (it does not loop correctly yet, though).
- Sound Effect system implemented, with some sound effects implemented such as doors.
- The dungeon exit now works, you can go outside!
- Streaming world implemented, with every location in the Daggerfall region working.
- Foilage and temporary flat terrain.
- Exterior locations implemented, such as towns, crypts and dungeon exteriors.
- Building interiors, including NPCs.
- Working Interior Doors.
- Exterior, wandering NPCs.
- Time of day, including sky rendering.
- Extended feature, sky filter implemented.
- Sky fogging implemented.
- Proper exterior window color support.
- Time of day lighting.
- Cross fading between sky changes.
- Initial climbing implementation.
- Horse travel mode, though no horse is displayed so it looks like a fast run.
- Levitate spell, used by hitting Backspace. Note that it is free to cast for now.
- Fast traveling implemented.
- Quick Save and Load. Quick save only works in exteriors (F1), quick load works anywhere.
- And much more.
Fixes and changes:
- The crashes are fixed.
- Looting range has been fixed.
- Looting bodies and treasure piles should work much better now.
- The inverted stab/overhead swing are fixed.
- The FOV matches Daggerfall much better now.
- CPU_Light mode has been added.
- VSync can now be enabled.
- A God Mode cheat has been added to help with testing.
- Custom control bindings can be setup.
- An experimental extended feature has been implemented – Fake Bumpmapping. See below.
This is an early, pre-alpha demo of DaggerXL. It demonstrates one working dungeon, Privateer’s Hold, and several graphical and gameplay features. These include:
- Authentic rendering of Privateer’s Hold
- Dynamic and interactive flats (treasure)
- Interactive Objects such as the throne room elevator and switch.
- Collision detection and player physics
- Partially completed UI system.
- Player stats, attributes and character screen
- Inventory screen and working inventory system.
- Enemies with AI.
- Melee combat system using stats, weapon skills, armor, combat moves (swings) and different weapons.
- Player health and death.
- Graphical options for performance and varying visual quality. This includes an emulated 320×200 mode with no filtering for those who would prefer to play that way. Texture/sprite filtering is also optional and may be turned off.
What you need to play the current version.
In addition you need the following to run the current version:
The full version of Daggerfall – patch to version 213, get it for free here.
OpenAL drivers, get them here, choose the OpenAL Installer for Windows oalinst
Proper D3DX dlls, update here.
Unzip the DaggerXL_Version0181.zip file into it’s own directory, such as C:\DaggerXL
Setup your DXL_Settings.txt file.
Set the Daggerfall Arena2 directory, the default is Dagger=C:\Daggerfall\Arena2
TexFilter=0-3, 0: no texture filtering (pixelated), 1: bilinear, 2: trilinear, 3: anisotropic (best but slowest).
ResX, ResY= your screen resolution or window size. This defaults to 1024×768.
Emulate320x200=0 for normal rendering, 1 to render into a 320×200 buffer and then stretch the results to fit your resolution or window size. This makes the game look very much like the DOS version.
LightRange=1-10, default = 1. This determines how far away lights can be and still be rendered.
CPU_Light=0: regular full speed rendering, 1: DaggerXL will consume less CPU time.
Vsync=0: vsync is disabled, 1: vsync is enabled.
FakeBump=0: regular texturing, 1: real time approximate bumpmapping derived from texture surfaces.
GodMode=0: regular combat, 1: if you run out of health or fatigue, it is refilled in place instead of “dying.”
SmoothSky=0: regular sky, 1: smoothed sky.
Bloom=0: no bloom, 1: bloom – a glow effect around bright lightsources.
Effect of Various Graphical Settings
TexFilter = 0
TexFilter = 1
TexFilter = 3
FakeBump = 0
FakeBump = 1
To discuss the demo, see this topic on the DaggerXL forums. Have fun and let me know what you think!
Finally! The download